Theodore lies in Canberra's culturally and historically significant Tuggeranong Valley.
Theodore Primary School is centrally located in this suburb which features undulating hills, of natural vegetation and impressive evidence of the original Aboriginal inhabitants.
The Valley has been recognised as a significant area to the Ngunnawal people. It contains a number of significant sites and was used as a major route to the Murrumbidgee River and the Brindabella Ranges.
The suburb and primary school were named after Edward Granville Theodore, a politician, union founder, miner and businessman with publishing and mining interests. He was Premier of Queensland from 1919 to 1925, and Deputy Prime Minister and Treasurer in the Scullin Federal Government. Theodore made a substantial contribution to Australia's war effort, organising and directing the Allied Works Council from 1941 to 1945.
Theodore Primary School began operating in January 1991 with staff and students located at Calwell High School and Calwell Primary School. Programs commenced on the school site on March 4, 1991, and the school was officially opened in November 1991.
Theodore has a close proximity to significant Aboriginal cultural sites. Our school emblem reflects this influence, as do the names of our units. These names were selected by the students. They are Yackatoon, Chipala, Mingari, Molonglo, Murrumbidgee and Mereki.